Throw back to when I had just graduated from university; I decided to hangout out with a few friends. We were just talking along the lines of life in university and life after graduation. I don’t know about you all; but for me, walking across that stage and being handed my degree was a huge deal to me!
Before I knew it I was slammed with a statement: “Alphine you are not the first one to graduate from University.” HOLL’UP!!! WHAT!!! This is a statement that was said casually but the pettiness in me was not having it at all. For a split second I was heated and wanted to overreact lol (I don’t know why). Between the end of that statement and my response, I had to STOP, THINK, REACT and do it quickly.
STOP: In my mind, I was telling myself calm down.
- I’m too passionate about this topic for his liking which may be something he can’t relate to
- All he knows about me is my name and the fact that I have just graduated
- I worked so hard to be here considering that I was struggling with my major. I wanted to switch programs but without a backup plan I had to jump every hurdle that came my way
- Wait a minute; I don’t even owe him or most people an explanation on why this achievement means the world to me
- If I overreact what do I gain from it? Nothing. Ok cool.
REACT: My response was; “I know, but I have been through a lot to get here. I’m sure I’m allowed to be happy about what I consider my first huge accomplishment.”
Moral: Sometimes your biggest achievements are not so big to other people and that’s totally fine. Only you know your journey and you definitely don’t need to explain yourself. Unapologetically do you and be great at what you do!
Verse of the Day: “I can do all through Christ who strengthens me” –Philippians 4:13